Multiple sessions available from 8 Oct 2022 to 5 Dec 2022
The Quay, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1HJ, United KingdomView map
Winter in Poole Harbour is spectacular, inspirational and without doubt, one of the most important areas in southern Britain for thousands of over-wintering wetland birds.
Averaging only a meter deep, Poole Harbour can be hard enough to navigate on a high tide, let alone a low tide! However, Birds of Poole Harbour are delighted to announce our series of low tide cruises for winter 2022/23, which will provide stunning views out across the harbour and its nutrient rich mud, bringing you closer to some of the harbour’s well-known and not so well known winter residents.
Vital to waders, the many estuaries and creeks provide feeding areas for species such as Curlew, Black-tailed Godwit, Avocet, Grey Plover and Oystercatcher. With the water drained out of the channels, open-water species such as Red-breasted Merganser, Goldeneye and Great Northern Diver are forced to restricted open bodies of water, making them easier to find as wildfowl such as Wigeon and Pintail leave the cover of the salt marsh to take advantage of the transient feeding opportunities. We’ll be cruising around the harbour before making our way up the Wareham Channel with the rising tide logging as many of the harbour’s over-wintering wader and wildfowl species along the way.
- The trip will leave promptly from Greenslade Pleasure Boats kiosk on Poole Quay.
- Nearest public car park is Quay Visitors multi-storey located at Old Orchard, Poole BH15 1SB.
- Although every effort will be made to sail, the final decision will remain with the ferry company.
- Toilet facilities are available onboard.
- We do not permit dogs onto the boat, with the exception of assistance and guide dogs.
- Accessibility: Greenslade are pleased to accommodate disabled access on the boat where possible. In regards to wheelchair access, please read Greenslade's full access statement »
Sat 08 Oct - Low Tide Cruise - 2:30PM to 5:30PM
8 Oct 202214:30 - 17:30Add to calendar
Mon 24 Oct - Low Tide Cruise - 2:30PM to 5:30PM
24 Oct 202214:30 - 17:30Add to calendar
Mon 07 Nov - Low Tide Cruise - 1:30PM to 4:30PM
7 Nov 202213:30 - 16:30Add to calendar
Mon 05 Dec - Low Tide Cruise - 1PM to 4PM
5 Dec 202213:00 - 16:00Add to calendar