Multiple sessions available from 3 Nov 2021 to 31 Dec 2021
The Quay, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1HJ, United KingdomView map
Poole Harbour in winter is spectacular, inspirational and without doubt, one of the most important areas in southern Britain for thousands of over-wintering waders and waterfowl. Averaging only a meter deep, Poole Harbour can be difficult to navigate on a high tide, let alone a low tide. However, Birds of Poole Harbour are pleased to offer the return of our low tide cruises, which will provide stunning views out across the harbour and its nutrient-rich mud.
Vital to waders, the many estuaries and creeks provide feeding areas for species such as Curlew, Black-tailed Godwit, Avocet, Grey Plover and Oystercatcher. With the water drained out of the harbour species such as Red-breasted Merganser, Goldeneye and Great Northern Diver are forced to restricted open bodies of water, making them easier to find as wildfowl such as Wigeon and Pintail leave the cover of the saltmarsh to take advantage of the restricted feeding opportunities. We’ll be cruising around the harbour before making our way up the Wareham Channel with the rising tide hoping to log as many of the harbour’s over-wintering wader and wildfowl species as we can and with the Wareham Channel being a raptor hotspot we’ll be keeping an eye out for a harrier or two as well.
Accommodation partner - Quay Holidays. Quote BoPH when booking to receive a 5% discount off the Quay Holidays standard tariff. Quay Holidays are kindly also donating a further 5% to Birds of Poole Harbour.
BOOKING ESSENTIAL - Please note, these trips are weather dependent. Although every effort will be made to run, if the captain decides that the weather prevents us from running then the trip will be cancelled and a full refund will be available. We're currently only offering a restricted number of tickets based on government guidelines, but should the restrictions ease and capacity for each trip increase, we’ll allocate more tickets if we know it’s safe and responsible to do so.
- The trip will leave promptly from the Greenslades Ferry kiosks on Poole Quay
- Nearest public car park is the Quay Visitors multi-storey located at Old Orchard, Poole BH15 1SB.
- Although every effort will be made to sail, the final decision will remain with the owners and skipper of the boat.
- There are toilet facilities available on the boat
- We do not permit dogs onto the boat, with the exception of assistance and guide dogs.
- Accessibility: Greenslades are pleased try and accommodate disabled access on the boat where possible. In regards to wheelchair access, please find Greenslades' full access statement here.
Wed 3 Nov - Low Tide Cruise - 1pm to 4pm
3 Nov 202113:00 - 16:00Add to calendar
Thu 2 Dec - Low Tide Cruise - 12:30pm to 15:30pm
2 Dec 202112:30 - 15:30Add to calendar
Fri 31 Dec - Low Tide Cruise - 12:30pm to 15:30pm
31 Dec 202112:30 - 15:30Add to calendar