Up with the Lark Cruise
- Friday 10 May 2024
- 7:00 am - 10:00 am
- Poole Quay, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1HJ, United Kingdom
- Show on map
May welcomes the return of our bird sound special cruises as we team up with the The Sound Approach who aim to popularise birdsong and raise standards in the use of sounds in bird identification. A group whose subjects of particular interest include ageing and sexing birds by their sounds, and recognising hidden biodiversity, ‘new species’, through bird sounds.
We'll set off into the harbour early to bathe in the harbour's birdsong, exploring the Wareham Channel as it lights up at dawn and kick-starts into life with the rich and varied voices filling the Frome Valley. May enjoys the peak passage of many of our summer migrants which will be streaming through the harbour along invisible corridors and flyways. We'll work through this wall of bird sound, teaching you how to identify our spring songsters and unpack those tricky confusion species, such as separating Reed and Sedge Warblers, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler, a whole range of passerines like Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Reed Bunting and Blackcap as well as the harbour's breeding waders. We'll also go in search of iconic species like Cuckoo, Osprey, Hobby, Swifts and Swallows as they refuel after their mammoth migrations.
- Boat trips depart from and return to Poole Quay boarding with Greenslade Pleasure Boats (orange-and-white kiosk) opposite the Lord Nelson pub
- Nearest public car park is Quay Visitors multi-storey car park
- Toilet facilities, undercover seating and light refreshments are available onboard
- Dogs are not permitted, with the exception of assistance and guide dogs.
- Accessibility: Greenslade Pleasure Boats are pleased to accommodate disabled access on the boat where possible. In regards to wheelchair access, please read Greenslade's full access statement »